“Today in Avdiivka, together with the team, we congratulated the soldiers on Christmas, Happy New Year. Everyone who is at zero,” the President said.
President Vladimir Zelensky visited the positions of Ukrainian fighters. >
This is stated on the website of the head of state.
He awarded the fighters and congratulated them on the upcoming holidays.
“Today in Avdeevka, together with the team, we congratulated the soldiers on Christmas, Happy New Year. Everyone who is at zero. Who defends our country. Unlimited gratitude. Yes to all relatives, every family of our heroes. And everyone who helps. The guys at the front were needed And to everyone in the world who believes in us and is doing everything so that Ukraine can do more,” Zelensky said.
What is the situation in the Avdiivka direction
- The New York Times called Avdiivka a Ukrainian stronghold in the Donetsk region. Taking Avdiivka would be a strategic success for Russia—the city is the linchpin of Ukrainian defense in the region—and would deal a blow to Ukrainian morale.
- Back in March, the Defense Forces said that Avdiivka could become a second Bakhmut, where heavy fighting continued. The situation remains difficult to this day – the city is under fire around the clock, and assault operations in the direction do not stop. The occupiers compensate for all their failures on the battlefield with massive shelling of the city where civilians are still located.
- The Russians are also trying to find a well between the destroyed Marinka and Avdievka in order to enter in this direction.
- Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Valery Zaluzhny, commenting on the defense of Avdiivka and Bakhmut, said that if the forces are not enough, then it is better to save people, and only then recapture the territories.
- On the morning of December 29, the General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reported that the Defense Forces over the past 24 hours repelled 14 attacks in the Avdeevsky direction east of Novobakhmutovka, Avdeevka and 12 attacks in the Pervomaiskoye and Nevelskoye areas of the Donetsk region.