• 13/04/2024 09:49

Lviv doctors removed two magnets from the stomach of a 7-year-old girl


Mar 7, 2024

Photo Doctors of the Western Ukrainian Specialized Children's Medical Center took two magnets from the stomach of a 7-year-old girl from the city of Nikolaev, Lviv region.

The medical institution reported this on Facebook, Ukrinform reports.

"The magnets were of large diameter. Under their weight, the stomach dropped to the level of the pelvic bones. Therefore, at first they were visually localized in the intestine. However, we performed an additional X-ray examination on the patient in a supine position, and realized that the foreign bodies were still in the stomach, so they can be removed endoscopically,” said endoscopist Oleg Kocherkevich.

It is noted that the girl herself told her mother who swallowed the magnets. The parents went to a local hospital, where the child had an x-ray and was then sent to Lviv to the Western Ukrainian Specialized Children's Medical Center.

According to the endoscopist, the child was very lucky that the magnets were glued together and the stomach fell in one conglomerate .

As the Center's doctors said, cases of removal of a foreign body from the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) happen frequently.

According to gastroenterologist Vita Voloshchuk, young children learn the world by touch and taste. . Therefore, foreign bodies in the gastrointestinal tract are most often found in children aged 1 to 3 years. Older children and adolescents may swallow objects intentionally to attract attention.

Doctors note that if there is a suspicion that a child has swallowed something, do not try to get it out yourself, but immediately seek medical help.

As Ukrinform reported, otolaryngologists from two hospitals of the First Medical Association of Lviv saved a two-month-old girl by removing a cyst due to which the child could not breathe.

Photo: Western Ukrainian Specialized Children's Medical center


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *