Screenshot of ISW map
On December 24, Russian troops confirmed advances near Avdeevka and in the Kremennaya area.
Source: Institute for the Study of War (ISW)
Details: According to military analysts, Russian forces recently advanced near Avdiivka and continued trench warfare with Ukrainian forces on December 24. Geolocation footage released on December 24 shows that Russian forces have advanced east from Stepnoye (north of Avdeevka).
Also, ISW notes that Russian troops have recently confirmed advances in the Kremennaya area. Geolocation footage released on December 24 shows that Russian troops have advanced east of Ternov (west of Kremennaya).
Key ISW findings for December 24:
- European Union (EU) High Representative for Foreign Affairs Josep Borrell said Russian President Vladimir Putin is not interested in a limited territorial victory in Ukraine and will continue the war “until final victory.”
- Russian forces are reported to be reducing air activity and the use of glide bombs in Ukraine after Ukrainian forces shot down three Russian Su-34s in southern Ukraine between December 21 and 22.
- On the night of December 23-24, Russian troops carried out a series of drone and missile attacks on Ukraine.
- Ukrainian Defense Minister Rustem Umerov, in an interview published on December 24, detailed Ukraine's efforts to create a sustainable wartime force generation apparatus and an effective defense industrial base (DIB).
- Russian President Vladimir Putin continues to portray himself as a compassionate leader who cares about the welfare of Russian military personnel, while also presenting himself as the effective commander-in-chief of the Russian military.
- Russia appears to be continuing its efforts to develop a military occupation force in Ukraine separate from its front-line units, using newly created Russian National Guard units.
- The 810th Marine Infantry Brigade of Russia's Black Sea Fleet has redacted its admission that its personnel are intentionally using chemical weapons in Ukraine, likely trying to cover up what may be evidence of an apparent violation of the Chemical Weapons Convention, to which Russia is a party.
- Russia's labor shortage, partly a consequence of the war in Ukraine, was reported to be around 4.8 million in 2023 and will likely continue to intensify the Kremlin's efforts to boost Russia's economic potential.
- Russian troops have made confirmed advances near Kremennaya and Avdievka, and positional battles continue along the entire line of contact.
- The newly formed 337th Airborne Regiment (104th Airborne Division), operating on the eastern (left) bank of the Kherson region near Krynoki, continues to suffer losses.
- Russian officials have said that Russia is sufficiently in control of the situation at the Zaporozhye Nuclear Power Plant (ZNPP), despite recent dangerous incidents that occurred during the Russian occupation of the plant.